The information we collect
For those few activities on our website where the collection of personally identifiable information is necessary (for example, when you contact us with a question or when you apply for a grant), the information we collect is clearly set out on the web page on which we collect it.
In addition, we may collect information about your IP address, operating system and browser type for system administration. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns and is not meant to identify any individual.
Why and how we collect it
We may collect personal information from you only for the purposes identified at or prior to the time we collect such information.
We only collect personal information through emails or web forms submitted by visitors in order to respond to questions or comments or process specific requests (for example, when visitors apply for a grant).
We rely on several basis to process your personal information, including to perform our contractual obligations towards you or take pre-contractual steps at your request, to pursue our legitimate interests or to comply with our legal obligations. In certain cases, we will require your consent before processing your personal information.
Who we disclose it to
Personal information (as opposed to aggregate information) is used solely by us. We will not disclose such information to any third parties without your prior consent, other than:
- to third party service providers with whom ALIPH has a contractual agreement, which includes appropriate privacy standards, for the purposes of performing functions such as data processing, database services or information technology support;
- to comply with any legal requirements; to protect the safety and security of visitors and our site; and
Should we need to transfer your personal information to a country that is not regarded as ensuring an adequate level of protection for personal information by the European Commission and/or the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner, we will put in place appropriate safeguards in accordance with applicable legal requirements to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected.
Keeping your personal information secure is very important to us. We have taken the necessary steps to protect the personal information collected from you on ALIPH’s website with a level of security appropriate to the sensitivity of this kind of information. In particular, all information you provide us with is stored on secure servers.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can ever be guaranteed to be totally secure. As a result, whilst we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information which you send to us and which you do at your own risk.
We will not keep your personal information for any longer than is necessary in light of the reason(s) for which it was first collected or provided, keeping in mind the following factors:
- the activity or service for which it is being processed;
- any legal, regulatory or contractual requirements; and/or
- the time in which any litigation or investigations might arise from providing a service.
You have the following rights with respect to your personal information:
- access your personal information;
- rectify your personal information;
- erase your personal information;
- restrict our use of your personal information;
- object to our use of your personal information;
- withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information where processing is based on your consent;
- receive your personal information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party (right to data portability).
If you would like to exercise such rights, please contact us at the details below.
We may need to contact you if we need additional information from you to process your request.
Your objection (or withdrawal of any previously given consent) could mean that we are unable to perform the actions necessary to achieve the intended purposes or that you may not be able to make use of the services offered by us. Please note that the above rights can be limited – for example, where we need your personal information to comply with the law or assert or defend against legal claims or have other compelling legitimate grounds for the processing that override your interests, rights and freedoms. We may therefore be able to continue processing your personal information even after you have chosen to withdraw your consent to the extent required or otherwise permitted by law.
Personal information of other persons
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any complaint or concern about privacy. If, however, you believe that we have not been able to assist with your complaint or concern, you have the right to make a complaint to the competent data protection authority.